Cellular & Molecular Biology Focus
A strong background in cellular and molecular biology is essential for many competitive careers. In health care and biotechnology, scientists help develop new treatments and products every day. In food safety and agriculture, biologists are in high demand to carry out research and quality control work.
Graduate students in the cellular and molecular biology focus area prepare for real-world challenges through research on well-studied model systems, non-model organisms and comparisons among different types of organisms.
Regardless of their chosen focus, all graduate students in the department may take advantage of collaborations with biologists at GW’s Institute for Biomedical Sciences and other renowned facilities here in Washington, D.C.
Cellular and molecular biologists at GW regularly collaborate with other scientists across departments and D.C. institutions:
- The GW Institute for Biomedical Sciences
- The GW Computational Biology Institute
- GW Chemistry and Physics Departments
- The National Institutes of Health
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture