Undergraduate Student Resources


Academic Advisors sitting at a table


From tutoring and advising to guidance on transfers and credits, Columbian College and the Department of Biological Sciences offer students a range of resources to make their biology experience as productive and enjoyable as possible. 

For personal, academic or career plan guidance, talking to your academic advisor is a good place to start. Not sure who your advisor is? Contact the department’s undergraduate advisor.


Declaring a Major or Minor

The clock and gazebo in kogan plaza


Before declaring, speak to the undergraduate advisor for the Department of Biological Sciences. He/she will help you select an advisor in your area of interest. Print or retrieve a Declaration of Major/Minor Form from the Columbian College Undergraduate Academic Advising Office and complete it with your advisor.



Departmental Employment and Funding


Students talking in a classroom


Scholarships, assistantships and other professional opportunities can help fund education and build impressive résumé material.

The Department of Biological Sciences employs students and volunteers in the office, greenhouse and as learning assistants (LAs) in lecture classes and undergraduate teaching assistants (UGTAs) in laboratory classes. Students who receive Federal Work-Study (FWS) are given preference for many of these positions.

Undergraduate TAs & Laboratory Preparation Assistants: Apply through GW Handshake or contact Lab Coordinator Meggan Bridgett.

Learning Assistants: Contact Hartmut Doebel.

Greenhouse Volunteers: Contact the greenhouse manager.

Social Media VolunteersContact the department to apply to assist with the biology website, news articles and departmental social media accounts.



GW Academic and Career Resources

Student Financial Assistance

Look for scholarships, Federal Work-Study positions, military benefits and other funding assistance.

Academic Commons

Book peer tutoring or review sessions, research and writing help, step-by-step study strategies, language support and more.

Center for Career Services

Take advantage of career and job search coaching, self-assessment services, résumé development, networking and more. (Services offered to students and alumni.)

Undergraduate Advising

Get assistance from your Columbian College academic advisor to navigate declaring a major or minor, transfers and other academic support.

Office of the Registrar

Find forms for adding or dropping courses, obtaining special permission for closed courses, waiving certain degree requirements as well as the Transfer Credit Approval Form (PDF).