Meet Dr. Aleksandar Jeremic

Dr. Jeremic's lab studies molecular causes of metabollic diseases like Type II Diabetes. He currently serves as Undergraduate Advisor for the Department of Biological Sciences.

Undergraduate FAQ

How do I get transfer credits approved?

If you are looking to gain Transfer Credit approval, Dr. Aleksandar Jeremic, our Undergraduate Advising Coordinator, can assist you with the matter. When you meet with Dr. Jeremic, bring your Undergraduate Transfer Credit Approval Form, and a copy of the syllabus of the courses you are hoping to take for transfer credit, as that is what Dr. Jeremic will use to decide transfer credit approvals. Once the form is completed it can be turned into your home school for approval.
Dr. Jeremic's office hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:00 - 3:30 pm in SEH 5680. 
How do I declare a Major/Minor?
Students meet with Dr. Aleksandar Jeremic, our undergraduate coordinator, before declaring a Major or a Minor to determine who would be the best for helping advise the student. Before you meet with Dr. Jeremic, please print and fill out a copy of the CCAS Declaration of a Major form. To figure out what classes are available to fulfill your Biology degree, please see the Advisee Sheet.
Dr. Jeremic's office hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:00 - 3:30 pm in SEH 5680. 
How do I get study abroad credits approved?
If you are looking to gain Study Abroad Transfer Credit approval, Dr. Tara Scully, our Study Abroad Transfer Credit Advising Coordinator, can assist you. When you email  Dr.Scully, please attach the Study Abroad Course Approval Request Form, and a copy of the syllabus of the course you are going to take for transfer credit, as that is what Dr. Scully will use to decide transfer credit approvals. Approval will not be made without a syllabus. Once the form is completed it can be turned into your home school for approval.
What are my professor's office hours?
You can view a list of professor's office hours here.


How do I apply for the Harlan Scholarship?

Current first years, sophomores and juniors who have declared biology majors fill out the application found here as well as submit supplemental materials as detailed in the application. Applications are usually due in February and will be announced on the website. Please email your application or any questions to [email protected].


What is the process for writing an honors thesis?

To be eligible for Special Honors in Biology according to University Regulations, majors in Biology must maintain a cumulative GPA in the Biological Sciences of 3.5, and an overall GPA of 3.0.  Students with records that fall below these levels after initiating an honors project will not be awarded special honors. Students will submit a transcript to their research advisor prior to beginning honors work.

Students will present an oral report of their results to the faculty at the end of the Spring semester.  Presentations will be scheduled by the organizer(s) of the departmental seminar series.  The date scheduled for the final presentations will occur at the end of the Spring semester.

Please see the Guidelines for Special Honors Theses.


How do I gain acceptance to the Scholars in the Quantitative and Natural Science (SQNS) program?

Students are invited to the Scholars in Quantitative and Natural Sciences program by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions upon review of the Common Application.


How do I find undergraduate research opportunities?

The best method is to take the time to find and read research descriptions on web pages of GW faculty and choose several who you think you might like to work with.  This could include a number of departments, including Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Anthropology, Psychology, all departments in the Medical School, Engineering departments, etc. Once you have identified a few faculty who are engaged in research in which you would like to become involved, you can send them a short email written specifically for an individual scientist and their research interest. 

Write a short email (preferably a single paragraph) that describes the research opportunity that you seek and information about yourself.  It should take a busy lab director not more than 30 seconds to read. The writing quality of your email is important because it reflects on how well organized you are and how well you think, and can be interpreted by the reader as a predictor for how well you will do research (organization and logic are very important for doing science).  Your email can include some or all of the following information.

Describe your interest(s) in science if you know what it is.  (It’s OK to be interested in many fields of biology.)

Also include:

  1.  Your year in school = how many years/semesters do you have to participate in research.  More years are better.
  2. Your available time to work in the lab and what days of the week
  3. Whether you are interested in a position in the summer and if a stipend is necessary for you to do this
  4. Mention any lab experience you’ve had.
  5. The science classes you have taken, as a list, may or may not include grades
  6. Your overall and/or science GPA
  7. Your phone and email, in case the email doesn't come through when your email is forwarded.


Does the Biology Department have a pre-med major?

The Department of Biological Sciences does not offer an official Pre-Med major, however, if you are interested in pursuing a career in medicine, please visit CCAS Pre-Professional Advising.


How do I register for a class after the semester has already started/is closed?

The RTF-EZ is used for registration transactions for the current semester. It requires instructor's signature for registration of closed courses and courses that require permission. Forms must be submitted in-person by the student to Registrar staff in Colonial Central. The RTF-EZ is used for:

  • Registration into closed courses (not to exceed the classroom capacity)
  • Courses that require permission of the instructor or department
  • Major/Level/Class/Degree restrictions
  • Pre-requisite waivers

You can use the RTF-EZ for registrations up until the 4th week of the semester (2nd week for summer) and for drops/withdrawals up until the 8th week (4th week for summer).


How do I register for independent study/research credits?

You must use the Registration Transaction Form (RTF).

The Registration Transaction form must be submitted to your Advising Office. They are not accepted in the Office of the Registrar from students. The RTF used for:

  • Exceptions to academic policy
  • Time conflicts
  • Grade mode changes (pass/fail, credit/no-credit, audit)
  • Credit hour changes
  • Exceeding the maximum amount of credit hours you are permitted to take each semester
  • Registration changes made by mail or fax
  • Continuous Enrollment/Leave of Absence
  • Internship courses
  • Registrations beyond the 4th week of the semester (2nd week for summer) and for withdrawals beyond the 8th week (4th week for summer)


How do I become an Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (UGTA)/Learning Assistant (LA)?

There are several laboratory classes that employ UGTAs as well as several lecture based classes that employ LAs.

If you are interested in UGTAing for Introductory Biology for Majors, please contact Joanna Mooney or Dr. Rob Donaldson. If you are interested in UGTAing for Introductory Biology for Non-Majors, please contact Dr. Tara Scully.

If you are interested in becoming an LA, please contact Dr. Rob Donaldson.


What employment opportunities are there for undergraduates in the GW Biology Department? 

UGTA and LA positions in the Biology Department are paid positions.

The Department of Biological Sciences also employs a number of Federal Work Study (FWS) students to assist with laboratory prep, greenhouse care, and office work. For more information about the FWS program and to search for student employment opportunities, visit Career Services.

For laboratory prep positions, please contact Lab Supervisors Joanna Mooney (Foggy Bottom Campus) or Jimmy Muñoz (Mount Vernon Campus).


Have I done everything I needed to do in order to graduate?

Please see Degree Requirements


How do I apply for graduation?

All degree-seeking students should use the online application available through GWeb. Students who miss the application deadline should use the late graduation application (must be submitted to your Advising Office).

Learn More

Contact People

To contact specific faculty, staff, graduate students, and postdocs, please visit our People pages!

Biology Seminars

Each Friday during the academic year the department offers a seminar featuring special speakers and visiting scholars. Seminars are held at 3:15 pm in SEH B1220.